January 28, 2009

Lines. They're all over your life. Right there in front of you. Diagonally across. Some near the horizon where you can barely see. Some like a mirage, appearing and disappearing in front of your eyes every second. Some ones invisible. You don't know they exist until ages after. There are even lines that you have to draw for yourself at all the right places. And then there are the lines you have left behind. The ones you see near and far every time you turn to look back over your shoulder.

In an ideal world, there should be no lines behind you. All of them should lie ahead of you, right in front of your eyes. And in this ideal world, the ideal you with all the ideal wisdom in your head should know never to step over any of these lines. Crossing the line is what makes you from right to wrong, good to bad, pretty to ugly.

I have an inherent problem. I don't care about the lines. I know that they are there and I know that I should not be crossing them. But I don't care. I keep jumping over and across them like I'm playing hopscotch. No, seriously. It's like a game for me. An extra point for one more line crossed. No competition. There are no other people in the game. I am my competition. It's crazy. And I'm all wrong and bad and ugly now.

I need to stop the game. I am trying. Promise. It is one of my things this year. And you know what. Today, I had a line laid flat in front of me. A line on the other side of which there was a sweet calling for my name. A line on the other side of which I would have and would have been deceived for a temporary high. A line on the other side of which I would have touched a new low. And I decided to walk away from that line. Despite all the temptations. I walked away and I walked a step closer to the finish line of my game. I'm going to get there. Very soon. Very very soon.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful analogy... Loved it girl... Congratulations!!! that you did not give in to the temptation and are holding on firm to what you have decided...

Life tests you with such lines... they draw you close and tempt you to cross... Happy that you did not cross it... Hugs!!!

Take care girl... I am sure you will make it... God bless ya!!!

Che said...

Hmm i could never draw a line. damn bad at drawing. failed at it in school. now suffer in life because of it :(

Tazeen said...

Che, forget lines, i cannot even get the dots right.

Unknown said...

Hhmmm.. some lines carry more weight than the others. Depends on which of those you play hopscotch with.

thinkin said...

:) nothing more to add...
you just said it...and I guess we all identify with each of ur word in this post..
very well written and thought...
hope to read more sooon
Cheers... :)

PI said...

it's your life. geometry be damned!
cheers!

Lucifer said...

hi...u got a dedication on my blog from meera

Vaudevillian said...

I've always had one running parallel to everyting. you know like staring through a vodka glass. makes you think there's always a back-up, an escape route no matter what. even though there isn't one, it still raises your spirits.

Benaam Badnaam said...

not sure if this would work...but try and observe a tree

take care
:)

Sparkling said...

Wow! You sure showed great strength there gurl.

Proud of ya!

Paradox Philic said...

I agree with what thinking said above - we all relate to these words in one way or the other...

beautifully written!

Toonfactory said...

I hate lines...why to create one? :) Beautiful analogy BTW